Driftwood Lye is a unique, water-based product, which gives the wood a weather-beaten patina. The product is primarily for oak wood. By using this product, the wood will get a very nice two-dimensional design. Finally, the surface must be treated with one of the WOCA oils.
Due to the hazardous material in Driftwood Lye, this product can only be shipped via ground with and additional Hazmat fee. It is also non-returnable. Please call To order call 1-877-962-2645 to place an order.
* PLEASE NOTE * Due to the Sodium Hydroxide found in Driftwood Lye the product has been deemed hazardous by the Department of Transportation and requires special documentation and transportation. A $75.00 Hazmat Fee per 1 box (4 containers) is mandated by the Department of Transportation and is required for ground shipping.
- Wear suitable acid proof protective clothing, gloves and eye goggles for protection.
- The wood must be clean, dry and free from dirt and grease. We recommend application as soon as possible after sanding.
- Shake the Driftwood Lye container well and pour into a plastic paint tray. Stir regularly during application.
- Apply Driftwood Lye with a nylon brush or synthetic applicator in an even coat on the floor,following the wood grain.
- Apply at least one liter of lye to each 100 sq.ft. of wood flooring or woodwork.
- Let floor or woodwork dry at least 2 hours.
- When wood is dry, de-nib the floor and its standing fibers using a buffer with green or maroon buffing pads until floor is smooth. De-nib floor first before polishing the edges. Subsequently vacuum the floor or wood surface.
- Finish the floor or woodwork with oil.