WOCA Testers are an inexpensive way to sample our products on your wood. Different wood species with different natural coloring will impact the treatment color and the final look of any finish. By sampling your choice of WOCA Antique Lye on the wood that you will be finishing, you will be able to verify the outcome of your project. This will help you to intelligently select our products to meet your requirements for style, color, and look.
NOTE: Because of the hazardous material status of some WOCA Lyes, they must be ordered by phone, and we cannot coordinate or accept returns on Antique Lye.
* PLEASE NOTE * Due to the Sodium Hydroxide found in Antique Lye the product has been deemed hazardous by the Department of Transportation and requires special documentation and transportation. A $75.00 Hazmat Fee is mandated by the Department of Transportation and is required for ground shipping.
- Wear suitable acid proof protective clothing, gloves and eye goggles for protection.
- The wood must be clean, dry and free from dirt and grease. We recommend application as soon as possible after sanding.
- Pour Antique Lye into a plastic paint tray. It does not need stirring.
- Apply Antique Lye with a nylon brush or synthetic applicator in an even coat on the floor, following the wood grain.
- Apply at least one liter of lye to each 100 sq.ft. of wood flooring or woodwork.
- Let the floor or woodwork dry at least 2 hours.
- Wash floor with WOCA Wood Cleaner (see separate instructions). This will neutralize tannins and prevent water spotting. Let floor dry completely, preferably overnight!
- When wood is dry, de-nib the floor and its standing fibers using a standard buffer with thick green buffing pads until floor is smooth. De-nib floor first before polishing the edges. Subsequently vacuum the floor or wood surface.
- Finish the floor or woodwork with oil.